Hello!  I have a question and I hope it is answerable.  This is my third
year as a librarian, and my second year at the K-6 level.  My library is
automated, and we have two CD ROM workstations. I have both fixed and
flexible scheduling and  average about 25 classes per week.  In
addition, due to lack of space, a corner of the library is the
elementary computer lab.  Until this year, it held 8 apple computers.
This year, through grants and other funding, there are now 8 PowerMacs,
an LC III, and three LC IIs.  Here is my problem-I am now expected to
run this lab.  Some teachers are angry that these computers were put in
a lab and not in their classrooms, and have decided to schedule their
classes in the lab during every period that their is not a scheduled
class in the library.  I am required to instruct these students in the
use of the computers and how to use the programs.  I should add that
these students are 1st and 2nd graders and need to learn averything from
step one.  So, betwwen my regularly scheduled classes and the lab
classes, I have between 35 and 45 classes  per week.  And still these
teachers are complaining.  They do not like having to schedule their lab
time around my class time, they feel they are not getting enough lab
time,etc.  They have come up with a plan where a two and a half hour
block would be scheduled for them each day in the lab, and any class
that has a scheduled library time will be moved to another slot.  This
way, all my "free" time would be for them.  Basically, they want all the
teachers to rearrange their schedule for them.  And the principal is
actually considering it!  I don't have a scheduled lunch period, I don't
have a planning period.  All of my ordering, reviewing and processing
are done either at home, or late after school. I have very little time
to aid other classes with research, or to run the reading incentive
program that I started this year.  An aid was requested for 2 hours per
day, and I was told it was "not a priority."  Many teachers have told me
that my situation is wrong and have even approached the principal on my
behalf.  I feel so frazzled all the time, as if I can't keep up.  I've
considered looking for another position, but, if my situation is normal,
there is no sense in doing that.  I guess my question is...Is this
normal?  Is this how elementary libraries run?  If not, what can I do?
I'd appreciate any advice you have for me.
Thank you
Susanne Ford-Croghan

LM_NET Archive Home