Anne Anderson from Wayne State University writes:

Does anyone have a good definition of Information Literacy?

Anne,

About 2 years ago, I heard the term, Information Literacy and asked this same
question.  I thought that it could be defined as the ability to read
information.  THE END.  Well, after reading such materials as Mike Eisenberg
and Bob Berkowitz _The Big Six Skills_, I have discovered that Information
Literacy is so much more.  In a short and sweet definition, Information
literacy is the ability to effectively and efficiently gather and use
information.  The Big Six Skills is an information Literacy curriculum which
allows the learner to discover information.  I have a booklet that I created
for one of my graduate courses titled, _Banana Split_ which focuses on the
Big Six Skills.  It is available only for cost of printing and shipping.  If
you are interested, please contact me via e-mail directly.  I teach 3 on line
courses that discuss Information Literacy, each trying to discover what it is
and how we learn.  I recommend that you go to the Big Six web site as well as
Jamieson McKenzie's on line journal From Now On.  If you have any other
questions, feel free to e-mail me directly.

Tami J. Little
TLittle844@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home