Hi Kathy,
   My first response came back and would not go through so I am posting on
the LM_NET.
   I would hazard a guess that the phrase, "in like flint" goes back to the
old flint-lock rifles used during colonial times.  In order to fire the
"shot" from the rifle, some sort of spark was needed to ignite the powder
loaded into the rifle.  The spark was provided by a small piece of flint
which was worked to fit into the rifle's firing mechanism. Unless this piece
of flint was just right, it didn't stay in and did not generate a spark.
   That would be my best guess about the saying.
    It's been quite interesting to read the suggestions that the phase might
refer to Errol Flynn and his sexual escapades.  He was well known as a
carouser!
  Hope this helps!
Dick Brulotte
LMC Director