ubject: Libraries in the Millenium

rom owner-lm_net@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU Fri Jan 17 04:04:11 1997
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:02:41 -0500
From: Pat Wallace <DENWALL@AOL.COM>
Subject: Do we need a union?
Wallace, Chair, Hawaii Working Group
denwall@aol.com

Would someone please tell me that this is all a bad dream?

>"Our objective is to provide fully
>cataloged books and materials that support the university's
>curriculum and that minimize physical handling by library staff."

Oh, absolutely.  We wouldn't want those librarians to have to
physically handle those books!

>"This project represents the cutting edge of library technical
>services outsourcing and collection management," said Daniel
>Halloran, president of Academic Book Center..... We are excited
>to share in  Carolyn Gray's vision of the 21st century library.  We
>see this project as a model for other libraries exploring the
>outsourcing of technical services."

Just think, librarians will no longer have to do their own PR.  They
will have their very own handlers.  Problem is, just who is this
PR aimed at?  Certainly not the patrons.  They could care less
that they getting books via "visionary" contractual arrangements.
The PR is aimed at all of us, folks, the potential clients of some
future outsourcing company.  [PW}