Since several people have asked, I am posting a hit of the responses I got
to my question about Accelerated Reader stores.  It is long, so it will
come in three parts.
******************

From: Jeanette Carolyn Larson <jlarson@tenet.edu>

We did a library store where kids could spend book bucks.  We got coupons
from local stores (McDonald's, skating rinks, etc.), small trinkets from
carnival supply stores, etc.  Keep the prices kind of high or you will
run out.  We also contacted a half-price book store that donates
overstocked books to libraries and got new (but remaindered) or gently
used books.  The kids were just thrilled to be able to "buy" their
prizes.  You might also get fancy pencils, erasers, laminated book marks,
etc.  I know that our RIF program received mini-Goosebump books from
Frito-Lay (they are a promo item kids can send for if they buy chips).
The cost didn't seem to matter to the kids although some "saved" for
bigger prizes.  There was a little disappointment when they saved all
summer only to find their item had been purchased.  We actually let them
"buy" from a "catalog" so that they weren't manhandling the prizes.  We
photocopied or pasted pictures on paper and put the sheets in a
notebook.  We indicated how many of each prize were available and counted
down as they were sold.

Jeanette Larson
Texas State Library

**********************

From: Janie Baxter <jbaxter@surfsouth.com>

Our AR store has items ranging from Jolly Ranchers and candy bars to CD
players.  Some of our merchandise was purchased from Wal-Mart, Sam's,
etc. and some was donated by local merchants.  We did a student survey to
determine what students wanted in the store.  Candy has been our best
seller, but pens, folders, diaries, puzzle books also sell well.  We
convert prices by 1 AR pt = 10 cents. Our school has grades 6-12.

**********************

From: Jonny Trotti <media@vnet.net>

Though I am now in the high school and don't do this, last year I booked
book fairs in the months when paper backs were part of the reward...
then put these in the store for the kids to buy... I'm so old fashion, I
believe reading rewards should apply to reading.... I also bought
bencils (shaped pencils) with reading encouragement on them...  I used $
earned from the book fairs to purchase the things.... Mine was a K-3
school, so the books did not earn lots of points... so I said each point
was one dollar... When I let the students spend points as quickly as
they read, those prizes going back to the classroom brought readers in
quickly...

I hope this works so well for you you must bring in volunteers to
help... I found it a great incentive program..

**********************
From: Kaye Banzhaf <kbanzhaf@esu15.esu15.k12.ne.us>

Our media aide at the elementary school does an AR store 4 times a year
(at or near the end of each quarter).  She buys a lot of stuff at the AR
store at the $ stores, teachers donate items from home (stuffed animals
their kids have outgrown, old candy dishes, decorative items--I personally
have donated gifts from former students that I really didn't have room to
have in my house).  She assigns point values based on two things--how much
the item cost if it was bought, and the appeal the item might have to the
students.  We also got a local WalMart store to donate some items last
year.

**********************
From: CHRISTINE AND TODD TALBERT <talbert@erols.com>

At my previous school, I operated an Accelerated Reader Store in the
library that was greatly successful!  The students loved it!  Here are
some of the things I offered:

1.  Accelerated Reader books (usually paperback, bought some place on
sale)
2.  Mini erasers (Walmart or mail-order catalog such as Upstart)
3.  Bookmarks (wherever I could find them cheap)
4.  Pencils (Walmart, or dollar store)
5.  Candy Bars (Walmart)
6.  Rubber balls and other small items that can be found at a party
supply store.
7.  Accelerated Reader T-shirts,baseball caps, footballs, and mini
boom-boxes (From the Accelerated Reader Catalog)These were the most
expensive items, but many of the students enjoyed saving up their points
for the entire year to earn such prizes.)

I found that it was very important to stock up on the "little items",
for those students who either couldn't earn very many points, or didn't
want to save up their points.

All in all, the candy bars seemed to be the favorite thing to buy.

***********************

From: LilyPCooper <lilypcooper@southtech.net>

 I run "The A.R. Store" out of a former small conference room adjacent to
the main room of my media center.  I decorated the walls with posters and
have the merchandise on display on the bookcase shelves.  I have a big
starburst-type sign on the door and merchandise on display in the window.
I hope to be able to get an awning with "The A.R. Store" printed on it to
go across the window and doorway, so that it will look more like a real
storefront.  I sell items for 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 40, 50, 75, 100, and 150
points.  I have a VERY small budget, so I depend on all the free stuff I
can find--pencils, pens, and pads from a local business, basketball
trading cards left over from a Texaco promotion, donated candy, etc.--then
I order junk from Oriental Trading Co. and buy candy in bulk from Sam's
Wholesale.  I price things generally by estimating that 1 point = 5 cents.
 At my prices the kids have to do some serious reading in order to be able
to buy much.  For example, a package of 2 Reeses Peanut Butter Cups costs
10 points, and a school t-shirt costs 100 points.  They have not
complained, though; they love it!  Our network is down now--has been since
before Christmas--and they are all mad because they can't take tests and
the store  is closed.  We are a very small rural school, and the store is
an exciting incentive for them.  Hope it works as well for your friend!

Carol Burr              burrc@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
Goodlettsville Elem
514 Donald St
Goodlettsville, TN  37072