From: Marsha Finlay <mwfinlay@tenet.edu>

        We have a budget for the AR store and have set each point at 10
cents.  The prizes come from Wal-Mart and we let students (6 each
six-weeks) go to the store for a shopping spree.  They love it and they
pick stuff we would never have dreamed to pick.  Their stuff always
sells.  We pick up candy after season( ie. one week after Christmas,
Easter, Halloween, etc.) as it is usually 1/2 off.  We use anything we
can find from cereal box goodies to mail promos to stuff students gave us
for Christmas years ago.  You know the saying..."one man's trash is
another man's treasure".  We also put paperbacks from the book fairs in.

*********************

From: voubre@simba.mckinney.isd.tenet.edu (Virginia Oubre)

We pay "library bucks" in denominations of 10 cents; 50 cents; one
dollar; five dollars; and ten dollars.  We have a "store" every 4 to
6 weeks, and it is held in the library.  Children are responsible for
their "money."  We do not replace lost or stolen money.  Students can
purchase anything at the store from pencils to bicycles--including
books!!  The books, I am sorry to say are not fast selling items,
but, then, of course, we feel that we are accomplishing our
purpose--to get the children to read--by holding out the incentive of
rewards that they do want.  The books for sale, I get by my "free"
books that I receive from Scholastic Book Fairs IN ADDITION to my
monetary profit.  The relatively inexpensive items, we have available
at the store; the more expensive items, must be "paid for" at the
store, our volunteer moms, then go out and purchase the more
expensive items, and deliver them the following week.  We have a
glass display case in our hall showing the more expensive items and
their prices.
We usually mark up prices roughly 3 times their purchase price, but
we reserve the right to  go up or down as we need to in order to
preserve the store.
The bicycle that we offer, we received a special price from Target,
and we have "advertised" that TWO bicycles are available.  The first
students who can afford them, get them.  If NO one earns enough money
to purchase the bicycles, we plan to award them at the end of the
school year to the top readers for this year.

******************

From: Fern Phillips <FERNP@southside.ncsc.k12.ar.us>

     I use anything I think the children might buy that I can
     get my hands on.  I try different things.  Even gone through
     my "junk" at home.  At Christmas, I was going through my
     cabinets and found some plastic cups with pictures on them.
     When I go anywhere they are giving away pencils, key chains,
     etc., I get my one and then ask if I might have a few more,
     explaining what I plan to do with them.  They usually tell me
     to get a handful.  I have asked teachers if they have any
     items at home they would like to get rid of.  We had a
     craft fair at church.  At the end when they had marked every-
     thing down, I bought almost everything that was left.  That
     stuff has gone like hotcakes.
     I try to charge about 1 point for each 10 cents cost.  I
     buy sodas and candy bars and charge 5 points for each.  Try
     to watch sales to get these.  In our middle school, they charge
     more.  The kids come down here and ooh and aah over what I
     have.  I use book fair and fall festival money to pay for
     most of this(and out of my pocket).  The PTA gave me
     $100.00 last year.
     Just scronge around.  I have a basketball for 50 points and
     a barbie doll for 50 points.  Had to buy a new basketball
     this year, no takers on the doll.

*************************

From: afalgout@cajunnet.com (Leesie Falgout)

I am a user of the Accelerated Reading progam and love to sing its praises.
I am so pleased to learn when others have found it as beneficial.

I tried the store one year but did not have great success with it.  What I
have done is to beg, borrow and steal a few items from some of the local
stories.  Burger Chef gave me a stack of coupons for free dinners.  A
chicken house gave me some dinners.  I have free paperback from a book fair
and have purchased some other items through a local source.  Had one of my
mother create some pins that they could wear.   At 100 points I take their
picture and post it outside the library on a display that I have.

I then create a chart showing prizes that you can receive when you reach
different plateaus.  Usually about every 10 points.  Then award the prizes
as they get the points.    I also give a pencil (cheap ones) for each
student who makes a 100% on a test.   Then for other who pass the test I
have a candy jar for them to guess the number of candies and at the end of
each month give the candies to the one with the closest guess.  I try to get
something appropriate for the month.

**************************

From: Betty Parks <parksbg@okra.millsaps.edu>

This is my first year to have AR and a store also.  We have had the
store at the end of the 2nd term and the 3rd term and plan to have one
at the end of each of the other 3 terms this year. We have had students
come to the library to shop when they leave the cafeteria at lunch time.

Teachers have donated quite a few items for the store such as small games
their own children had (rubic's cube,etc.), free gifts from Estee Lauder
etc.(combs, brushes, sample cologne, lipstick, polish), Christmas ornaments
they no longer use, gifts given to them in the past that they couldn't use
(admit it), book marks, pencils and any other prizes they've received as
bonuses, freebies from airlines ( one husband travels a lot first class).
Whenever I go to ALA I always get a lot of pens, pins, pencils, pads,bookmarks.

All of these are great.  You'll get to where you're always thinking prizes
when you see anything or you think of throwing something away. Could this
be a prize?  Motel shampoos etc.

Our PTA ordered some things for us from Oriental Trading--small stuffed
bears, cheap watches, candles in a tin.  They also bought some candy in bulk
at Sam's as well as getting free passes at the local skating rink and bowling
alley and tokens for free sundaes at the Dairy Queen (ice cream/sandwich shop.)

An admired item that the PTA bought inexpensively is Radio with Headset and
Cassette player with headset.

My principal let me order some items from the ALA catalog. I got really cute
necklases with the beads that spell READ, the note cube that says READ, and
reading sweatshirts.  These were probably the most expensive thngs that were
actually bought and I put high prices on them.

Pricing is tricky.  We have students who got a lot of points right away
and some who still haven't started.  I have 1000 points on the very best
prizes and 1 point on a LOT of things.   I want to challenge the good
readers and encourage the not so good.  I think you should price according
to what seems right for your students.  I received a lot of advice from this
group early in the year and it helped but I still had to make my decisions
based on what I had and what I felt was appropriate for us.

I'm a little worried about next year's prizes because we all cleaning out
our closets this year!
Have fun with it.  One of my problems is storing everything.

Oh, I forgot to mention the paperback books as prizes.  I receive gifts
from my niece for the library and from others. Some I put in our collection
and others are in the store.

*******************

From: jwright <jwright@epix.net>

I have had this message saved and am finally getting around to
respond. We have used Oriental Trader when ordering from a catalog.
When we have a book fair we also use books and things from the fair
such as posters diaries, erasers, etc. One of our fifth grade teachers
had each student write to a local business and we had a great response
of free items with this. We dont deduct points but just keep letting
them accumulate. Every five points the kids reach another "step" and
have a choice of prizes. The prizes for 5, 10, 15, and 20 points are
pretty much small things and then they start to hit the bigger items
as they get more points. The kids like it and it works well with a
very limited budget. We also send a note to parents requesting
promotional items that they might have at their place of business. Let
me know if you need any more help. There is another good catalog I've
used but it is at school. I will send you the name of it.

Carol Burr              burrc@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
Goodlettsville Elem
514 Donald St
Goodlettsville, TN  37072