Hi to everyone on the list!

I need some advice.  I have recently accepted a job as a LMS at a private high
school (my first LMS job).  The current librarian (who is very nice) is still
there and is showing me the ropes.  I have recently discovered that the first 4
of 7 periods in the library are designated study halls, with the kids having no
where else to go.  They come in and pal around with the librarian, play games
on the computer, talk loudly, etc.  I have read the student handbook, which
states that it is up to the discretion of the librarian as to the atmosphere of
the library.

I simply do not think that a school library should be a lounge, and
sometimes the noise level in there is so excessive, I am so embarassed and
annoyed!  But how do I change this?  Did anyone come from a similar situation?
 I figure I will have a discussion with the headmaster after the current
librarian leaves, maybe set up some kind of reference game with prizes, and
eventually, consult the teachers and try to come up with something that goes
along with the curriculum (something never done here).  The problem is that the
kids are used to this casual lounge-type atmosphere and I don't want to turn
them off to me immediately. (Or am I too soft?)

Please email me:
Jennifer Jourdain
jourdain@vegas.quik.com

LM_NET Archive Home