Dear Group:
     My English dept. has just received a little extra money.  They decided that
it was time to select a new set of novels for the 9th grade classes.  They are
looking for a fairly recent title (last 15-20 years) that is an UPBEAT story.
They (and the kids) are tired of heartbreak, death, and doom and gloom.  They
have been using  A Separate Peace, Of Mice and Men, Childhood's End, and To Kill
a Mockingbird.  (One teacher also uses The Giver.)  Does anyone have any ideas?
They asked me, but for once I have drawn a blank.  As I told them, you have to
have conflict to have a story.  I think they might even accept a biography.
So, put on your thinking caps--I need upbeat, heartwarming, happy, possibly even
funny, and suitable for 9th grade students, average level.

TIA--I'll post a hit if there is any interest.

Lee Gordon                (702) 799-7200, x230
Eldorado High School       FAX  799-7255
1139 N. Linn Ln.           lgordon@fremont.vegasnet.org
Las Vegas, NV  89110

LM_NET Archive Home