LM_NETTERs,
I am posting this message to the entire list because I have seen several
requests for information on the AlphaSmartPro.  In lieu of sending my
message several times, I choose to post a message to the list.  Hope it
is helpful.

I am librarian in two elementary schools (K-5).  This is my first year
here and the ASPs were purchased by the school superintendent at the end
of last school year.  I did not have any opportunity to do any
comparison amoung machines.
I must say we are very pleased with them.  The two bigger, town
elementary schools each have 85 machines and my small, country school
has 30 machines.  Wonderful cabinets were purchased for transporting the
ASPs to the classrooms.  We have 25 machines per cabinet and have 3
cabinets - the other 10 are kept in the library and checked out for
overnight use.  The smaller school has one cabinet with 23 machines and
7 for check out.
There is a computer and printer atop each cabinet so each teacher that
checks out the cabinet for classroom use has at least one machine to
download the files onto.

The use of the ASPs is very simple.  They hold approx. 10 pages of typed
text.  You type in a file; it is automatically saved.  You hook up the
ASP to the computer via the keyboard cable and open any word processor,
even note pad, simple text, or an e-mail program.  Press send and the
file goes directly to the word processor and from there you have access
to full editing features.

They each use 2 AA batteries that are said to have a life of 80-120
hours.  There is a lithium battery that is to have a life of 1000-1100
hours.  We have yet to change any of the AA batteries.

Our high school has been so impressed with the reports they have heard
that they are ordering 30 for their use.

I hope this information helps.  If anyone has any additional questions,
please feel free to contact me at school (316) 356-1742 or by e-mail at
<mitchelt@pld.com>.

Tammi Mitchell
Sullivan and Red Rock Elem. Libraries
Ulysses, KS