I have had a parent complain about the Wayside School books by Louis Sachar.
I have a selection policy in place and am not going to pull these books from
the shelf. This parent complained about books last year. She was upset about
a Babysitter Club Book that had the word Darn in it, and a Babysitters
little sister book that portrayed lying, stealing, and witches.  Without
going into details the book had none of the things she was complaining
about.  We met with the elem principle and he was very kind to her, but
supportive of me. The major problem is this parent is VERY involoved with
the school.  She is the after school daycare lady, and one of the major
volunteers for classroom.  She is constantly at the school and in the
classroom.  To make it worse my daughter is in her class, and she has pulled
mothers aside to tell them what kind of books I am buying for the library (
it is a great feeling having everyone talk about you while you are walking
down the hall). Her daughter has the run of the school and has before this
year been very sweet, but she has been having a attitude problem in library.
I wonder what mom says at home.   This is a very small conservative school.
         I also run a k-12 library with the collection shelved together.  I
try to distinguish between materials that are suitable for high school and
not suitable for primary grades. We are also a private school so we do have
a parent base to keep happy.  I do elementary classes, but my main focus is
the high school and I teach  two internet classes in the high school so
although I know and get along with the elementary teachers, I don't have the
working relationship to know what kind of support there will be there.  I
guess I just want to vent.    I also wonder if maybe I don't belong here
even if I love the school and the students, and most of the teachers.  I
really don't want to find another job, but I am not going through this
everyear.  Any suggestions of what and how to tell the elementary principle
(who tries to keep everyone happy) that I feel this parent is a real trouble
maker, without sounding too paranoid.  When I see her in the hall she almost
smirks with glee, if I didn't know she doesn't have the qualifications I
would think she was after my job, or just wants to get rid of me.  I don't
know why I have always been nice to her and don't even know her very well.
I see her at school and soccer games.  She is the real officious type and
maybe she needs to feel important.  Last year when this happened she was
going to all the teachers and parents and you could tell she was enjoying
all the attention she was getting.  Help!!!

LM_NET Archive Home