This question has come up before.  I will reply as I did previously, and
suggest that this is a very important topic for general consideration.
Validity can sometimes be obtained via the "About Us", "Click here for
information about our service" or similar instruction.  Sometimes the author
is listed on the final page (usually the bottom of the page, like a
signature).  Where the author is a "known", such as the U.S. Census Bureau,
the authority is a given.  I have found it very un-useful to e-mail to the
site asking for authority reference -- I just don't get a response.  Someday
when the Wild and Woolly Web has tamed down, there will be "authority icons"
to verify the integrity of a site.  Until then, it's real iffy.

Mary Ann Shank
miriam18@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home