I am on Digest and may not be responding correctly, but I wished to comment on
the tape recorder issue.  (If there is abetter way to use Digest someone let me
know.)

I have about 25 years experience, including a 5 year stint as a District
Coordinator.   I got turned off to relying completely on vendors about 24 1/2
year ago when I discovered that the phono cartridges I purchased in dozen lots
at 3.95 each from a "dealer" could be purchased a Radio shack for 3.95 per
dozen. I can give you many similar examples.  Incidentaly, I found out by
accident that some of the sales reps from that company were earning 6 figure
incomes in the 1970s by selling to schools.  I now consider it a part of my
professional responsibilities to know, as Cheryl suggests,  when it is
appropiate to buy from a dealer and when you can beat their prices and
quality by shopping elsewhere.

Paul Trotta
Coginchaug Regional High School
Durham, CT