I am the librarian who bought tape recorders from the drugstore and I am
very happy to have done so.  After two years in the classroom these tape
recorders are going strong and serve the purpose they were intended to.
Bids were not put out for this type of equipment, and as for bid specs
they are only as good as the person writing them makes them.  Nobody
asked the staff how these machines were going to be used.  We wanted
something that would fit on a desktop and would be simple for young
children to operate themselves.

We are in a new school and have received a lot of av equipment that was
trash from low bidders -- unrepairable, poor sound quality, flimsy
handles and doors, etc.  Bid prices are often higher than the open
market because the companies must be willing to wait months for their
payment and the paperwork that is involved.  If purchases are not over
$500.00 we are not required to use bids.

I do not feel that I am being unprofessional by filling the needs of my
staff and saving money for the district where I work and teach.  If
there is one thing I have learned in this position it is the mantra "be
flexible."

Linda Bryniarski

LM_NET Archive Home