Dear 'Netters,

I am interested in how you manage the demand for material created by a
whole language curriculum.

I am in a K-5 school with about 550 students.  The library has about 9,000
books. We are not a strict whole language school; our 9 week grading
periods are built around a theme so that all classes in a grade are
studying the same thing at the same time.  I find it a huge strain on
library resources:  the teachers check out all they can find on the current
theme, and then keep it in their rooms for the 9 weeks.  Their students
become interested in the topic, and then can't find any material on it to
check out from the library.

Do you limit the number of items on a subject teachers may take out?

Do you pull the books for the teachers?

Are the books kept in a reserve area?

Do you find you have to buy lots of multiple copies ?  (My predecessor had
started buying three of each theme related title because we have three
teachers per grade.  I feel like that's luxury level acquisitioning - can
we afford that?)

We are piloting a very back-to-basics reading program from SRA this year,
piloting Saxon phonics in one kindergarten, and doing Reading Recovery in
first grade.  In other words, even our half-hearted whole language approach
may be on its way out.  As you keep that in mind, please give me your
valuable suggestions and input.

Many thanks,
Marcia Millere
Jerger Elementary School