                                                Katie
From: "M. Ellen Jay" <mejay@umd5.umd.edu
Hi,
We did a Bearly Back to School theme one fall.  As I recall I had a
variety of search activities for the kids to do.  We called one part
"Panda-monium" which had harder questions and no source listed and
"Bear-facts" which had easier questions and a source identified.
Questions used geographical dictionaries and maps (What river does the
Bear Mt. Bridge cross? ,Where in the world is Bear Island?, How deep is
Bear Lake?)  Other questions were from enc. and trade books and focused on
distribution, special characteristics like the panda's front pawa etc.  We
also had fun with puns related to bear names like The golfer nicknamed the
Golden Bear; He played catcher for teh NY Yankees or Composed Westside
Story.  We had an activity where kids matched bear pictures to the title
of the book they were from.  This activity is written up in "Motivation
and the School Library Media Teacher" on pages 31-33.  More specific
questions and examples are presented there.

Ellen Jay

 How about that bear company that sells stuffed animals?  Sorry,
don't remember the brand name but they did "Shakesbear" and tons of others
using real cute names.
Martha Clement
Tilton School  (Independent school grades 9-12)
30 School Street
Tilton, New  Hampshire  03276
email: Martha@tiltonschool.pvt.k12.nh.us
voice: 603 286-1752
FAX:  603 286-3137
Katie,
        This idea is not really library oriented, but it might be useful.
Two years ago in December the "hip" music store downtown created a window
display of local residents' favorite teddy bears.  It was really appealing
(drew a constant crowd) to stop and look at all the different kinds and ages
of bears with little cards attached identifying the owner and bear's name.
This might make an eye-catching display if you have a secure area.
I was looking at a recent issue of Woman's Day
magazine and there's an ad for teddy bear kits which includes a banner that
reads:  "Don't feed the bears...  They're already stuffed".  Excellent
concept to include, huh??

Sandy Steinberg
Madrid-Waddington Central School
Madrid, NY  13660
steinber@northnet.org
Katie,
Do include Pooh in you bear theme--pooh stuff is very popular right now,
JC Penny and Disney have been selling sweatshirts etc.  The HS kids have
complimented me on my sweatshirt, and several said that they love pooh.
Might as well capitalize on the current popularity.

We did bears with my primary students last year.  Upstart had some cute
bookmarks with bears on them--don't know if they would be too cutsy for
HS.

Invite the kids to bring in bears for your display, too.   Maybe you could
do one of those baby picture displays where the teachers (or asb kids or
whatever) bring in their baby picture and in this case, their childhood
bear, and the kids guess who is who  (not very coherent, but you get the
idea, I hope)

Good luck.

I start my Pooh unit today.

Molly Pearson
LaKewood Primary and English Crossing Elementary
Lakewood, WA
(north of Seattle)
mpearson@eagle.esd189.wednet.edu