Dear Netters - This is my first Hit and I feel it is rather long, but
there are some great suggestions.  Thanks to all who sent ideas.  I
rec'd several with the same message as the last one, so there does seem
to be a special day out there for us.  We just have to make sure
everyone knows about it!
Annette
Tucson, AZ
felix@azstarnet.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++In my humble
+opinion, I think we show our worth by being helpful and
considerate of the needs of students and teachers which requires being
flexible and hard working. Given your current curriculum, how can you
incorporate staff and serve students to increase their skills and love
of reading? Our district LMS developed a plan incorporating technology,
literature, circulation skills, and information accessing. We also do
the Accelerated Reading testing, and teachers love how we support them
in this reading program. Good luck to you!
Lorrie
In the past year's I have done a lot of activities for National Library
Week or Month.
Some activities have been:
I Spied a Reader Program:  Where I dress up as a Spy and give candy of
coupons to the readers I see.
This program works with the Drop Program which I vary for NLW by having
the Drop times changed to a different period a day.
I have had library treasure hunts.
 You could Bring in an author, illustrator, or a storyteller to meet
with the kids.
You could start a LRC Monthly News Letter program or have a Bulletins
Board set a side in the teacher's workroom for an LRC Facts and Tips for
teachers Information.  On the Board I post activities and supply
teachers with various ideas I have located through reading or
information surfing.
I have also have a Teacher's Tea on the Wednesday of  NLW where I serve
Cake Tea, Coffee, Cookies and other goodies.
 During this time I give out my good LRC users awards for Teachers who
use the LRC a lot, Teacher who works on making their student good
researchers, Teacher's who support the LRC curriculum, Teacher's who
help to demand more use of various LRC activities, The Online Teacher of
 the school, Teacher who comes in with their class the most during the
year, Teacher who has checked out the most materials, Teacher who has
donated the most to the LRC program.
 I also invite the Administration and the School Board to come and
celebrate National Library Week.
I would like to be informed of activities others have provided to you.
Their is a Nation Librarian's Day I saw it posted in School Library
Media Activities Monthly a while back I think its either during NCBW or
NLW or NEDW, but I have forgotten exactly what day it's on right now.
Michael Marvel
Cowherd MS LRC
Aurora, IL
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++I work in a
+unique situation so this wouldn't be possible for many
librarians...I work in a rural school that is consolidated--several
area K-8 school communities send their 9-12 students to our high
school beginning the freshman year.  We have a local weekly newspaper
that is good about printing "advertising" articles if I write them,
so I semi-regularly write articles about the availability of our high
school library to the community tax payers and parents who pay our
district tuition; we have no public libraries in our county!
I occasionally get phone inquiries for info and have some fairly
regular non-student "patrons" who stop in to read newspapers or check
out materials; these people also donate good books and although I
have 60+ magazines on the current racks, I purchase only about 8
because so many people bring me magazines they've finished at home
monthly.  One retiree comes every Thursday morning with that week's US
News and any other magazines (National Geographic, Sat. Evening Post,
Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, Organic Gardening....).  My
newspaper articles tell about what is available that would interest
the general public, but that also tells parents some of what their
students have available.  I also keep the library open 2 days per
week throughout the summer--have done this about 16 years, now.  Low
and behold, the Community Progress committee has now spent nearly
$200,000 to renovate a convenient historical building in preparation
for a library tax question to be placed on the April ballot--I like
to think I've helped get people interested in the need for a public
library...
I've also taken every opportunity possible to talk about technology
and library resources as a guest speaker at local organization
meetings and in interviews on the local radio station.  Our
administrators are good to support my efforts and are very open to
allowing adults to use our library materials, which also helps.
Often when someone visits, an administrator will state that the
community uses our library because it is the only source of materials
locally.  As I said, not all school libraries are in a situation that
offers this kind of PR opportunity.
Something every librarian can do is produce a newsletter.  Mine
appears in teacher mailboxes early each month and is also sent to
every district administrator and librarian as well as all School
Board members (I deliver to Superintendent in time to be sent in
their monthly packets).  It contains circulation/use statistics each
quarter, news about the library, notes from the district technology
director, and lists of new materials.  I often highlight resources
that seem to have been forgotten, just to remind everyone they are
available.  Extra copies are kept on hand to give to visitors,
especially if they are interviewing for a position in our district.
I also include all district staff--cooks, custodians, secretaries,
aides...--in my magazine routing option; each fall I send everyone a
list of periodicals we have available and they circle the ones they
want routed to them when they come off the current racks.
Professional magazines are displayed in the teachers lounge and
checked out on the honors system.  I also route magazines to staff
when I find something I think will interest them but they aren't on
the routing list for that title.  Several have e-mailed me and
said "thank you" for sharing.  Of course, I use e-mail also to stay
in contact and to send "news" (new web sites or
listservs discovered...) that shouldn't wait for the next newsletter.
 This all takes time, but it pays off.  I've even heard staff tell
students and other staff members to check with me or in the library
when they need information.  Our custodians even come in about once
each week to browse magazines during their break (in most schools
they stay invisible during breaks)!  That has to pay off in the
community--the main thing is to spread the word through "satisfied
customers."
Janet Hofstetter, librarian
California High School       email:
1501 W. Buchanan               jhofstetter@admin.california.k12.mo.us
California, MO 65018         voice/fax: (573) 796-8256
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ The
+following is an (abstract) example of how I
know to acknowledge you.
                        A Question of the Public Trust
        As I trust myself, I trust to ask others in my world to
rationally, responsibly and professionally consider the following
questions regarding hat appears to be a pervasive lack of genuine
societal commitment to viable libraries in our public schools.
        Please consider:
        1.  How is it more rational (or even more economical) to NOT
support and provide a viable facility and/or atmosphere--a true
commitment--to the opportunity to share our limited resources?  Thus,
how is it that we appear to presume we may somehow muddle through
without a clear and comprehensible commitment to sharing in trust?
        2.  How is the future--the legitimate education of our
kids--served, when we indicate (to them and to ourselves) that we
choose, at best, to pay lip service to the idea that this world's finite
resources MUST be fairly shared for there to be any real chance for any
of us to truly thrive?
        3.  What is the purpose of public education if not to engender a
sense of community, a sense of the possible, a sense of rational future?
And what is the possible future of community--what is community
itself--if not two or more people sharing in trust, for their mutual
benefit and possibilities?
        4.  Since a library is also two or more people sharing in trust,
is not the library inseparable from its community, its society, and the
future?  If one be denied, is not the other also denied--implicitly?
        5.  Who is responsible for the success or failure of society,
community, and library, thus the future, if not you and me?  Who is
accountable?
        6.  As rational taxpayers, how can we not insist we be
responsibly represented in/for how our tax dollars are spent?  Else, is
not taxation with mis-representation treachery, fraud, tyranny--or
simple insanity, inasmuch as it undermines our future?
        7.  Why should I NOT trust to share, when rational thought
(Reason) dictates that I MUST trust in order to exist in society--and in
order for society to exist through me?
        8.  And how can you stop me when I choose libraries, community
and society--a future--in and for public education?  (I'll answer this
one myself:  YOU CANNOT.)
        9.  My final question, then, is not whether, but WHEN will we
know to rationally trust ourselves?  For it's a simple question of the
public trust.
        I am honored by your consideration and your attention to these
questions and concerns.  Should you find my words to be of value, I
trust you will elect to freely share them, as I have shared them here
with you.
        Take care.  I wish you well.
              A simple teacher, learner, neighbor and friend.

                        Ode to a Library; Owed to a World
        I must have done something incredibly, terribly wrong to have
been treated with such contempt, such vile hatred.  I must have done
something absolutely hideous.  For why else would you choose to
treat--and continue to treat--me  so awfully?
        I frankly do not understand even now (I must be dense or
slow)--just what it was I did that was so terrible.  For I thought I was
helping.  I truly believed, indeed do yet believe, that to help was not
simply my purpose.  In fact, it is what I believe I
achieved--help--through genuinely giving of myself.  I offered and
offered and offered; I gave and I gave and I gave, I know .  All that I
had, all that I knew, all that I cherished, unselfishly I gave.  And
freely, lovingly; responsibly I did give.  Yet though you took and took
and took, what was freely  offered you refused.  I was refused.  And
abused.  And I am assaulted, condemned and maligned for what I have
offered to give and to share and to try, and for what I do continue to
offer.
        I truly do not understand.  I can't seem to see why.  Your
rapaciousness seems irrational--incomprehensible.
        Is what I offer--freely sharing in trust--truly so terrible that
you are inexorably compelled to choose to treat it and me as worthless,
contemptible dirt?
        But if so, and regardless of your reasons, I dare beg that you
find the courage to do me just one act of kindness.  If your chosen
loathing for and distrust of me does not preclude this single simple
act, place me back among the soil where I surely must belong.  Please.
And without further delay.
        Won't you grant me this one simple request, and be truly
finished with me forever?  For my sweat and my toil, the dirt and the
soil--of the ages--is all I have to offer.  And by your choices these
are of no apparent use to you, as once they might have been.
        So be it, then.  In harmony, let us finish this, together at
last.  And humanely, perhaps, as it is within us, always, to achieve.
        Understand, I yet do wish you well.  For I know I could not be
true to myself and wish you otherwise.
        I am your library, as I am your world.
        And you are me.
        Take care, my friend.  Take care.
        The individual or institution which fails to honor and support
viable libraries is simply not credible.  For, a library, as a society,
is people, sharing in trust, for their mutual benefit and edification.
The naive who fail libraries fail themselves.
        'Nuff said.
Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick, teacher/learner
jeffkirk@sni.net
Chase's 1997 Calendar of Events lists a "Thank You School Librarian Day"
occurring on April 16 this year.  The description is:
     Recognizes the unique contribution made by school librarians who
     are resource people extraordinaire, supporting the myriad
     educational needs of faculty, staff, students and parents all
     year long!  Three cheers to all the public, private and
     parochial school infomaniacs whose true love of reading and
     lifelong learning make them great role models for kids of all
     ages.  To help celebrate, take your school librarian to lunch,
     donate a book in his/her honor to the library, tell your
     librarian what a difference he/she has made in your life.
     Sponsor:  "Carpe Libris" (Seize the Book), a loosely knit
     group of underappreciated librarians.  For info:  Judyth
     Lessee, Organizer, Carpe Libris, PO Box 40503, Tucson, AZ
85717-0503.
     Phone: (520) 318-2954. Fax: (520) 318-2930.  Email:
     rinophyl@rtd.com
Phyllis Anker                               e-mail: anker@hslc.org
Hightstown High School Library              phone:  (609) 443-7737
25 Leshin Lane                              FAX:    (609) 443-7880
Hightstown, NJ 08520

LM_NET Archive Home