i think that i read somewhere that "pushing the envelope" came out of
the attempt to break the sound barrier; the envelope referred to the air
surrounding the plane.

the whole nine yards may refer to the amount of fabric used in making
the traditional men's scottish kilt; again i think i came across that in
something i read.  perhaps duncan from the uk might know.

ed

--
Edward W. Menke
Librarian