This is my first year in a K-5 school where I see K-2nd graders on a fixed
weekly schedule.  I have introduced a specific reference tool to each
grade:  My First amazing Incredible Dictionary on CD-ROM for K and 1st
graders, and 2nd graders have been using Living Book The Tortoise and the
Hare.  I will be teaching 2nd graders how to use the "online" catalog
(Alexandria) very soon, but until then, I usually limit their use to those
specific CDs they've already been introduced to.  We have computers that
are set up with AT EAse protection software that shows them a display of
other applications like Clarisworks, Kidpix, Hyperstudio etc.
My questions are:
1.  When do you'all start teaching students to use the computer catalog?
2.  Do yo let students just "play" on the computers using KidPix and the
like when they come in on their own and aren't working on a specific
project?
3. Do you let them request other CD's to play with, even if they haven't
yet been introduced to it?
4.  If you do instruct these primary students on computer catalog use, any
good ideas?

I would greatly appreciate any information you'all could give to me on
this subject and if I get enough responses or if people like, I could post
a HIT.  Thanks!!

Melina Brown
Seawell Elementary
Chapel Hill, North Carolina