I just posted this to my net-happenings list.

Hope it helps you out.

<Gleason>

Date:         Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:13:45 -0600
From: Donna Wair <wair@LIBRARY.VANDERBILT.EDU>
Subject:      (Fwd) Supreme Court database on the WWW assessable for free
To: Multiple recipients of list CARR-L <CARR-L@ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU>

Date:          Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:24:21 -0500
From:          Tim Stanley <tstanley@leland.stanford.edu>
To:            Multiple recipients of list <lawsrc-l@listserv.law.cornell.edu>

Hello all,

FindLaw is happy to announce that it has made a database of all Supreme
Court cases since 1937 assessable for free to all.

The cases are searchable by citation, case name and full text and are
browsable by year and US Reports volume. The cases contain US Reports page
markers and hyperlinks within the cases to other cited cases for easy
navigation.

The URL for the database interface is:

        http://www.findlaw.com/casecode/supreme.html

It can also be reached from the FindLaw main index page at

        http://www.findlaw.com/

We also make available the html code for searching the decisions from your
own web pages. The HTML code is available at URL:

        http://www.findlaw.com/helpers/supremesearch.html

Peace,

Tim Stanley
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
donna wair
     wair@library.vanderbilt.edu
          http://free.websight.com/Wair4/
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

People think the Beatles know what's going on. We don't.
We're just doing it. -- John Lennon

At 12:32 PM 1/27/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Well, I give up!  I've searched everything I cna think of, both print and
>electronic and I come up dry on this one.  Do any of you out there deal with
>constitutional law and know where I might look for the answer to this one?
>
>The question:
>
>A teacher has asked me to look up a quote, supposedly used by Thurgood
>Marshall in arguing Brown v. Board of Education before the Supreme Court.
>The quote is from a speech Thaddeus Stevens gave to Congress.  The teacher
>thnks that the speech was given in 1838, but I think this can't be correct,
>since the quote is supposed to deal with racial equality and the 14th
>amendment.  Any sources I access show either summaries of the decision,
>historical background on the decision, or the complete text of the decision,
>but not arguments or opening statements, which is where the quote was
>apparently used.
>
>I've also tried Bartlett's, Stevenson's, Oxford Book of Quotations -- have
>nothing by T. Stevens, so that idea is shot.  I need a date the speech was
>given to be able to search Congressional Record, and as I said, the date is
>questionable. (Don'tcha love it?!)
>
>Any ideas?
>
>TIA!
>
>Mark WIlliams