Hi:

I'm a grad student taking a class in cataloging and organizing media.
I am interested in finding out how new terms for old topics are handled
in your libraries.  Specifically, I am wondering how/if you make
adjustments to the subject lines when the term for a group of people changes.

For instance, in my lifetime, I have seen "Mexican" change to "Chicano"
change to "Hispanic" change to "Latino/Latina."   Similarly,
"handicapped" became "disabled," then "persons with disabilities," and
now "challenged."

I would appreciate any input, and e-mail is welcome.

Thanks,

Jane Kowalski

LM_NET Archive Home