I want to thank the person who wrote in about the new Windows version of
Follett software. Here is what I know about it. During February most
subscribers to Unison/Follett will receive a Dos upgrade. It will be the
last one done in DOS, and if it doesn't solve all problems, too bad. People
with DOS service contracts will be able to continue to get them and have
technical support etc.

The Windows version may solve current problems in the program, but I also
hear there may be some things from the DOS program that are lost. Knowing
Follett's propensity for having major problems with new programs (remember
Unison?) I personally would not even think of getting the new version for a
year or two. Also, the Windows program requires at least a Pentium machine,
and many of us simply can not afford that.

The question at hand is why, if we already have Follett, should we have to
pay up to $1000 to get the new edition? That seems outrageous to me, and to
others I have spoken to.

If you are concerned about this situation, you must write to Chuck Follett
himself, on letterhead, and say your piece. He needs to know that many many
librarians are upset about the pricing, etc. And we need to be sure he knows
we expect DOS support for many years to come.

Thanks.

Marge Congress
La Sierra High School
Riverside, CA 92505