Here's some of the answers I received concerning cataloging Books w/disks.

I'd opt for calling it a "kit".  I would definitely NOT circulate floppy
disks outside the library.  That's a surefire invitation for virus
invasion.
**************
The books I've seen in this format have all been in the computer area
(teach yourself HTML or whatever).  The disks are not necessary for
successful study of the text, so you could store the disks separately and
place the books in reference, perhaps.
**************
I remove the disks from the book and place them into CD-ROM holders (yes
even the 3.5 disks) and catalog them with the CD-ROM disks that I have.
That way the book can go out without the disk and visa versa.
  I have all my CD-ROM disks in a special category for limited usage since
right now students cannot check them out and take them home (teachers can
however). Students can check out and use in LMC.
*************
1. I seperated them as two different items.
2. I catalog them in one single entry but have two items
3. I print a label on the book to tell the patrons that there is another
media item with this book, if they are interested in borrowing that , please
ask the librarians for assistance.
4. the media items are kept seperately in the working area of the library
but not with the book on the shelf.
**************
A dilemma it is. The only book we have like that is Esquvel's new book
and right now the two parts are on the shelf catalged as one.
*************
This is a real problem.  We catalogue the book and indicate a disk
is available separately, then process the book with a note on the pocket to
ask for disk, process the disk to match the book.  The two are signed out
separately.  A related question, of course, is do you sign out the original
disk (since it can be so easily destroyed or virused for the next user).
Here we argue that we purchase and sign out only one disk and, therefore,
maintain an archive of the original disk (to be used ONLY if something
happens to the signout copy).  It is never loaned.  Finally, with computer
disks being so easily virused, returned disks are virus checked carefully.
Virused disks are reformatted and, as best we can, we notify the
student/teacher that they have a problem on the computer they used it on.
*************
So far I only have one and I put it in cabinet with other CD-ROMS,
figuring a student who wants to use it will find it.  I hadn't even thought
about the checkout question yet - so I'm glad you asked and will be watcing for
the hit.
************
We catalog these as books with accompanying material (rule 2.5E1).  We
place a label on the book stating that the book contains software, and it
is the responsibility of the circulation clerks to check to see that it is
with the book when it is returned by the patron.
*************
I catalog these items as reserve collection items and announce the
availability to the staff.  They may borrow and use in their classrooms or
in the library but may not give to the student to bring home.  Same as a
video tape in terms of circulation policy.  I follow whatever dewey might
be appropriate.  Can't recall where I put it, but the last OWL book we
cataloged fell into this category.
************
!!!!!!!
I'm still not sure what we will do in my LMC, but I think that we will
probably combine a few of these suggestions mentioned from our colleagues.
If anyone wants the name and e-mail address from any of these suggestions,
please e-mail me and I will give you that info. I was trying to make it
short so I left out that info. Thanks to all that answered!   Lynne Jackson.
Londonderry HS. Londonderry, NH.  ljackson@reg.seresc.k12.nh.us  OR
lhs@scoot.netis.com
* * * * *
Lynne Jackson, Media Generalist                           Telephone -
603-432-6932
Londonderry HS Library Media Center                       Fax       -
603-425-1045
Londonderry, NH                              E-mail-
ljackson@reg.seresc.k12.nh.us
                                                     lhs@scoot.netis.com

LM_NET Archive Home