Dan:

Dan, thank you for your pertinent comments.  I didn't mean to imply that 520
was to be used for additional _subject headings_, but since this is a
summary field that is keyword indexed in many systems (not all systems index
or recognize the uncontrolled fields you suggest), it would be a place to
work those alternative words in so they can be found by patrons.  Certainly
the controlled subjects (600, 610, 611, 630, 650, 651, etc.) should ONLY be
used for approved subject headings.

I was taught that the 520 field was there to allow us some latitude in
describing an item in a form that would be useful to patrons, and I take
this to mean using terms that are in common usage but perhaps NOT approved
subject headings.

Hope this clears things up a bit!

Mark Williams
Librarian