Hi fellow netters!
  I posted the humor trivia bit to a computer group (thought it would
brighten their day) and got this back. Am passing it along for your info.

MaryAnn

>On 1/28/97 4:15 PM, MaryAnn Rizzo (rizzoma@primenet.com) wrote
>
>>> Until 1965, driving was done on the left-hand side on roads in
>>> Sweden. The conversion to right-hand was done on a weekday at 5pm.
>>> All traffic stopped as people switched sides. This time and day were
>>> chosen to prevent accidents where drivers would have gotten up in the
>>> morning and been too sleepy to realize that *this* was the day of the
>>> changeover.
>
>Nope.  They actually stopped all traffic, and allowed only emergency
>vehicles to run for a day; then they allowed public transportation
>(busses and taxis) for another day.  There might have been another day or
>two involved.  Then they opened the roads to all traffic.  During the
>time that traffic was prohibited, they took care of essentials such as
>traffic-light timing, positioning of signs and markers, etc., on the
>roads.  There was also the matter of rearranging things at border
>crossings.
>
>I was in Germany at the time, and the _Stars and Stripes_ newspaper
>covered it extensively.  Yes, it was in the late afternoon when all
>traffic was allowed to proceed again.
>
>--Michelle

MaryAnn "the librarian" Rizzo

"We need to educate our children for their future and not for our past" A.
C. Clarke

"Keep smiling -- it keeps everyone wondering about you."  M. Rizzo

LM_NET Archive Home