From:  Pukalani, HI
To:  denwall@aol.com (Patricia Wallace)
Date:  January 22, 1997

Dear Pat Wallace,

        Thank you for your activity regarding outsourcing in Hawaii's
libraries.  I am one of those employees who can't afford to speak
out.....Therefore, I ask you to keep my identity and situation
confidential.

        You must be getting e-mail...about the mess,  but I haven't
seen any that shows the results in layman's terms.  You know how
you go into a franchised store in a mall and the employees are
ignorant of their stock because "it just comes"--they don't order
it?  Now that employee is me.  When work is never done, I  prioritize
and reading reviews is at the bottom because I have so little say-so
in getting  items I read about anyway.  Not only am I ignorant about
current materials, I'm also ignorant about procedures.  We read
about policies in the newspaper like the public does.  More and
more, my colleagues and I find ourselves answering "I don't know."
That was never an acceptable answer in the past, but we feel
helpless, frustrated, castrated, etc.

Again, MAHALO
Aloha,
a librarian
From: Pat Wallace <DENWALL@AOL.COM>
Subject: Outsourcing Contract with B&T

Forward from  Patricia D. Wallace,  Chair, Hawaii Working Group
(ALA Social Responsibility Round Table /Alternatives in Print Division)
SLIS graduate student, Texas Women's University
Denwall@aol.com