Reading everyones message about how they cam into the field is very
interesting.

I always knew I wanted to be a librarian because I loved to read.  When my
parents said I would be able to go to college, that is what I choose.  I
received my credential in 1966 and have worked for the same employer for 30
years, but my job has changed lots over the years.  I work at a county
office for a library coop of many districts.  We have had as many as 36
school sites involved in the coop, but as distircts grew and were able to
employ their on LMS we have decreased in size to 18 schools.  I do
consultant work to all the schools, train library staff for the schools,
supervise the ordering and processing of books for the sites and oversee the
automation process for the sites when they are ready.  We have automated  20
sites (some no longer belong to the coop).  We have two sites we are
automating right now and two which are very small and will probably never
automate.  I assist districts in writing library grants.

I have always enjoyed my position here at the county because I have had the
opportunity to explore and do a wide variety of things.   Among other things
I have also 1) helped start computer classes beginning with programming and
I helped write the workbook for the class, 2) supervised the circulating
collection of instructional materials (Films, videos, etc) for the entire
county,  3) worked on establishing the California Instructional Technology
Clearinghouse which is a statewide evaluation process for all types of
instructional technology,  4) work as the Online Coordinator of the database
established by the Clearinghouse (http://clearinghouse.k12.ca.us).

Ruth
V. Ruth Smith, Librarian
Stanislaus County Office of Education