I wasn't going to participate in this since I am a special librarian, but
I see others who are not IMMEDIATELY in the field have responded, so here
goes...

Like everyone else here, I have always been intrigued by libraries (I
catalogued my family's "library" when I was 13 years old on the HP
computer my dad brought home from work every now and then!).  I worked at
the graduate library during my senior year in college, and after student
teaching (high school English) decided I didn't want to be a single
21-year-old who did nothing but grade papers all year.  (Selfish, I know,
but hey, I was 21!)  I went into the real world and worked in a medical
office (typing/admin assist) for 2 years and 2 days (but who's counting).
 That experience landed me a secretarial job here at The Education
Center.  I wasn't even here a month before I decided this company needed
a library, and I set about creating it.  Within six months I was back in
school, working toward that MLIS degree.  That was 2 years ago.  I have
one semester left, and I have already been promoted to
Librarian/Archivist--the first for this company!

Although I am not a school librarian per se, my job is very similar.  The
major difference is I don't see any kids.  This is also the biggest
downfall, as you can imagine.  What I DO get to do is work with
teachers-turned-writers and help to create exciting ideas and units for
elementary teachers around the country.  Pretty cool.  And worth the
trade-off, I'd say.

There's my little story... hope it adds to the collection!  :-)

Elizabeth A. Findley
Librarian/Archivist
The Education Center, Inc.
Greensboro, NC