I have enjoyed following the posting about how different people came
into the school library media field.  What has somehow escaped me, and I
suppose that ALA would have a reason that is at least logical to them,
but anyway, Here goes=96 I still can=92t figure out why there cannot be a
bachelors degree that would be adequate as the entry level for a
librarian. I agree that a school librarian might need the bachelor=92s
level for a teaching certificate, but a second bachelor=92s could still
give them the double credential.  At any rate, even though I DO have the
MALS from an accredited university, I can=92t see why the Masters degree
should be the required entry level. (Also seems unreasonable for a job
that starts in the low $20,000 range)=20
 Perhaps it was just the particular institutions that I chose, but the
course work for my undergraduate degree was MUCH more challenging than
my Masters, and I think I could have learned enough there to do an
excellent job in a library.  Advanced degrees could be required for
administrative positions, just as they are in education and some other
fields. =20

Anyone know why the Masters is the established minimum?

Gail Smith
gails@flash.net

Edison Regional Gifted Center, Chicago

LM_NET Archive Home