Roberta J. Ponis,rponis@JEFFCO.K12.CO.US,Imail writes:
>With a Masters degree in English/Education and six years teaching
>experience at high school, I took ten years off to "mommy" my three children.
>With my brain turning to mush and my speech to Sesame Street length
>sentences, I decided to prepare for returning to education as soon as my
>youngest was in first grade.  I could not see a return to high school
>English without sacrificing either my family or my students. (It was the
>mounds of student writing that smothered my evenings and weekends)

Regarding the not returning to the English teacher job: I don't think you meant
to imply that librarians don't work as hard as other teachers, but  that myth
exists and I would hope that we don't continue it here.  I know that English
teachers  often have mounds of long essays to correct and I often hear that
lament  from some of the teachers with whom I work.  I also worked with an
excellent English teacher who went for her MLS, changed to the library in our
school, and eventually returned to the classroom because she thought it was
"too much work"  for all that we do as well as responsibility for the facility
and equipment,  opening and closing each year,  and no designated prep period
to plan or assess work on a daily basis.   As an English teacher, she could
give grades and go home the last day of school.  As a librarian she felt she
still had much to do during the summer. Personally, I find myself writing a
report or some other work during my evenings and weekends because many days are
so busy making connections with students and teachers.  I am never caught up
with the journals I scan for reviews.   LIke many of us, I brought the Internet
to my school by spending countless hours on it at home.    As the only high
school librarian in my district, I think it's important that I spend a number
of weekend days at a conference or a meeting of my professional association.
I'm not complaining; I love my work and what I'm doing. However, I also believe
that we are looking at apples and oranges when comparing workloads and hope
that librarians are valued for their level of dedication and commitment as much
as any overworked teacher in the classroom.

Sylvia K. Norton
Freeport High School/Freeport, ME
sylvia_norton@coconetme.org

From CoCoNet, in Freeport, Maine, U.S.A.
Using a FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS.

LM_NET Archive Home