I just got back from ALA, and discovered this fascinating thread!
Like Suby, I'll add my 3 cents worth:
1959:  Senior year of high school, and the mandatory "career"
conference with the guidance counselor. When I explained that I
want to be a school librarian, the GC was nonplussed.  He knew I'd been
-- capt. of the Boosters (clutzy cheerleaders: we did fundraising
instead of backflips)
-- editor of the literary magazine
-- voted "girl most likely to cause inappropriate giggling during class"
(a pattern in the making?)
-- best frog "pith-er" on the Bio Squad
-- writer of *Sing* (annual student musical)
-- "professional storyteller" -- grad of  Brooklyn Public Library
pilot program taught by Spenser Shaw, the resident storyteller
-- and, oh yeah, Library Squad member
but he couldn't believe I really want to "shelve books and stamp cards for
the rest of your life, dear."
(And mind you, this guy ate lunch every day with the school librarian,
who was my mentor and a family friend)
1963:  Senior year of college, next career counselor -- what possible
degree/profession was I aiming for, with concentrations in:
-- World Literature (mostly folklore)
-- Home Economics (major in cooking)
-- Secondary Education (Language Arts concentration)
-- Extracurricular activities (not a great GPA, but I had fun)
So I have a Bachelor's in Creative Writing, and went straight on to
Pratt Institute Library School, where I met my husband on the second day
of classes.   He's been a librarian at NYU all these years, while I had more
 variety:
-- Brand new high school in Brooklyn NY.  4000 kids, 3 librarians
-- Maternity leave:  part time storyteller, instructor in para-professional
training program, book reviewer, substitute teacher.  Moved to New Jersey
-- assorted part and full-time positions in suburban libraries
-- middle-school librarian for 15 years, while also teaching grad courses
in Professional Development program, doing workshops/presentations for
teachers and librarians,  writing books and articles, mentoring newbies.
-- Just completed a year "at liberty" -- doing motivational speeches in
business world, taking courses in new technologies, exploring the 'Net,
and giving myself a much-needed breather after 5 years of assorted
calamities.

Am now about to start new job in yet another middle school library, and
can't wait. . .   33 years in this profession, and I'm still learning and
loving it.

Alice H. Yucht
Heritage Middle School (as of 9/97)
Livingston NJ