On a  lighter side...

When I was a sophomore in high school, my genius sister, then a senior,
decided to get married instead of go to college to become a research chemist.
 I was informed, in no uncertain terms, that it was my duty to continue my
education.  My aspirations, at that time,  were to finish high school, work
at Woolworth's, get married and have my husband support me in luxury.  I
hadn't the faintest idea what "to become."  Then I saw the movie "The Music
Man" and heard the song "Marian, the Librarian." ...

After graduating from Kutztown State College, now Kutztown University (PA),
with a BS in Education, certification in Library Science, I applied to one
school district for the position of high school librarian.  During my
interview, the principal asked if I intended to stay more than one year.  If
not he would do the job himself.  I crossed my fingers, and lied, "Sure, I'll
be here forever!" expecting to be married and out of there real quick.

Thirty years later, I'm still with the same district and still enjoy the job,
the staff, and the students.  Every time I think the job is getting old,
something new and refreshing comes along.

Thank you Meredith Willson for your song!

PS. Yes, I did get married and have one son who has greater aspirations than
I did at his age.
PPS.  My father sold books to schools for J.B.Lippincott, Co. and the
grandmother for whom I was named had been the librarian in the Wellsboro, PA,
public library.  And I was always immersed in a book.

Marian Mackey, Librarian             Knowledge is of two kinds:
Perkiomen Valley High School      we know a subject ourselves, or
509 Gravel Pike                            we know where we can find
Graterford, PA  19426                   information upon it. - S. Johnson
email: mkmackey@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home