         Pat said:  "I was complaining that our language arts books still
have those old subject, title and author card lessons and I had discovered
that *some of my teachers were still using them!!*  My colleague asked if
that format was still being tested on the standardized tests like the Iowa
Basic,
California, and Stanford Achievement.  With student test scores so important,
am I doing my students a disservice?  Does anybody know??"

     This is a critical issue particularly given the new AASL/AECT standards
that are about to be launched.  The Guidelines Implementation committee met
in San Francisco at ALA and the issues of textbooks and testing were included
in our proposed agenda for a formal implementation of the standards and
guidelines.  However, this is one of those areas where everyone needs to get
involved.  With such a large group like LM_NET, there have to be folks who
have some connection to textbook publishers.  If we can take on Congress to
get legislation passed I have to believe we can lobby textbook publishers.  I
encourage you to begin communicating with these publishers and not only send
them copies of the standards (available on the AASL Web site) but also
provide information on how technology has changed libraries . . . all
libraries.  These students who use their textbooks now use libraries (school,
public, and academic) where a card catalog and paper indexes have long
disappeared . . .  and then there is the Web!  Consider also communicating
with the other educators in your district who regularly arrange for new
textbooks.  They have lots of influence, particularly when they represent
large school districts.
     We have begun approaching the testing services as well but we could use
assistance.  It would help us to know which testing services we should
approach.  The IA and CA tests are on the list and we think we have some
connections there.  What about others?

Marjorie Pappas
Coordinator, School Library Media Studies
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA  50614-0462
319-273-2578
email:  marjoriep@aol.com