Colleagues:

After following this discussion for some time now, it is time to add my
two cents worth.  I'm in a high school in a small town in a rural part of
Missouri.  We are not automated, and have no plans to automate (but I'm
still dreaming).  Many of our new students are used to an automated
library, expecially the transfers.  I have to teach those students how to
use a paper catalog.  When I take the sophomore English II class down to
the university library in a neighboring town, I have to teach those who
have never used an automated system how to use it.

As several of you have already said, we have to teach for the current
situation, not some other situation.  By the time these kids get through
with the school they have used both electronic and paper catalogs.

Personally, I wish the makers of the standardized tests could set their
tests up in such a way that students would be tested on whichever system
(electronic or paper catalog) they were familiar with.  We are in a
transition time, and probably will be for several years yet.  Both
systems are in use.  Why not test both?

Maybe I'm giving away my age, but I'm the only teacher in our school who
knows how to use a slide rule!

73s.

David Lininger   KB0ZKE
Director, Learning Resources Center