Hello group.  I hope all of you are enjoying the summer.  About a week ago I
posted a message asking you to share your experiences using the I-search paper.
I got 1 response and 20+ requests for information.

The I-Search paper was developed by a college professor named Ken Macrorie.
Like many of you, he had become frustrated with the traditional "research
paper".  Students would get a topic they were not interested in, look in a few
sources and copy the information, and later re-write it so it appeared to be in
their words.  Some students never really understood what they were looking
for....and didn't care.
In answer to these frustrations, Macrorie developed the I-Search paper.  The
idea is to give students a chance to choose a topic that really interests
them....something important to their lives.  If a student is really curious
about something, they will be more engaged.  The I-Search paper also stresses
the presearch process.  Students are given the chance to brainstorm topics that
are important to them, formulate a research question, make conections between
prior knowledge and the topic at hand, and search some general sources. What do
They Know?  What Do They Want to Know?
Students then go through the search process, evaluating and discussing as they
go.  In the end, they not only have a product, they have a chance to evaluate
both the product and the process.  What Did I Learn?  Did I Answer My Question?
What Could I Do Different Next Time? , etc.

In the interests of space I've kept this brief.  I would like to direct you to
some resources:

Books:
  1.  Macrorie, Ken.  The I-Search Paper.  Boynton/Cook Publishers, 1988.

  2.  Joyce, Marilyn Z. & Julie I. Tallman.  Making the Writing and Research
Connection with the I-Seach Process: A How-To-Do-It Manual.  Neal-Schuman,
1997.  ( This is a great book)

Journal Articles;
  1.  Tallman, Julie.  "Connecting Writing and Research Through the I-Search
Paper: A Teaching Partnership Between the Library Program and Classroom."
Emergency Librarian v.23 n.1 Sept/Oct. 1995  (p.20-23)

  2.  Joyce, Marilyn Z.  "I-Search Paper: A Vehicle for Teaching the Research
Process."   School Library Media Activities Monthly v.11 n.6  Feb. 1995.
( p. 31,32, & 37)

Web Site:
  1.  Make it Happen.  http://www.edc.org/FSC/MIH/i-search.html

Hope this helps!!

Stephanie Fruhling
Student/School Library Media Studies
University of Northern Iowa
Fruhlis6174@uni.edu

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST