Hello Netters,
    Thanks for the help with my AP English teacher's question about creating
a list of required summer readings in the Bible that would be typically used
in literature
references. The responses received follow:
===============
     As a Bible college student, many years ago, when I took a "The Bible as
Literature" type class, we studied Job as a story and the psalms as
poetry.  The Psalms are divided into different types; such as _war_,
_praise_, _repentence_, etc.  The Song of Solomon is kind of "racey" ;)
in fact Jewish men had to be 30 years of age to read it. That will make
students run to the LMC for a copy.  Another interesting angle is to read
flood accounts from other traditions in relationship to the story of
Noah.  Just a few thoughts...
p.s. I'd read our of New International Version for understanding, King
James for the beauty of the poetry.
===========
  I find the King James Version much harder to read and understand than the
NIV (New International Version).  Even easier to read and understand is the
Student Bible.  It's NIV with lots of explanatory notes along the way... at
the beginnings of the books and throughout.  It gives great insight as to
the customs of the time and helps to apply it to today's times.
===========
      The KJV might be the favorite of some of us older people, but the NIV
is
generally the version most commonly used.  The reason the KJV shows up so
much on cd is that it is public domain.  Almost all other versions are
several dollars higher.

Personally, I prefer using Dr. Beck's _An American Translation_ but it is
hard to find.  Kids seem to like it too.

I would suggest that you have both KJV and NIV in your library, along
with a good Concordance.
==================
     Um, required reading of Bible passages?
Sounds a bit chancy to me.

It also sounds like those records of "favorite" symphonies,
which are actuallythe few minute movements we all recognize--
Wm Tell's Overture, for instance.
We don't appreciate the whole thing, just that small part!

We come to know literary references by our BROAD
background in reading and life--
not just reading specific passages elsewhere.

Do we learn trivia only by stdying Trivia game questions/answers?
================
How about the play JB?  Sorry, I can't come up with author's name at the
moment.
Jacob, have I loved    Katherine Paterson (?)
==========
     The Gospel of John in the New Testament has many famous quotes that are
used in literature.  The Gospel of Matthew, also in the New Testament,
is another that contains many quotes used in literature (The Sermon on
the Mount, The Golden Rule).  There are as many versions of the Bible as
there are meatloaf recipes.  The King James is probably what most
literature refers to, but The New International Version is easiest for
students to understand without losing the wording of the King James.
=====
   Without question,  the Joseph story.
==============
 I prefer the New Oxford Annotated Version of the Bible.  It is a
direct translation, not a paraphrase.  It was translated by the most
eminent Biblical scholars of our day and incorporates their work on the
most recent discoveries of old texts.  It includes footnotes, historical
background, and introductions to each book, which are great aids to
understanding the texts.  When I took Bible courses in college and at
Princeton Theological Seminary, the Oxford Annotated Version was always
recommended by my professors.  The New Oxford Annotated Version is the
newer edition.
Marie Ferner
Bloomfield Jr/Sr High Library
East Bloomfield, NY