When Mike says:

>I also constantly - I mean CONSTANTLY - here complaints about our
>profession being left out--about legislation, government reports,
>curriculum, initiatives, programs, proposals--not including school
>libraries or libraries in general.
>But, everyone - EVERYONE - in our profession should realize that the only
>national organization solely dedicated to the library profession and
>library media issues is ALA/AASL.  ALA/AASL is the only organization with a
>full-time lobby effort in Washington.

he hits the nail squarely on the head.  NO group is perfect. So, work to
improve ALA/AASL if you have problems with it's current structure or
policies.  If we are the professionals we say we are, then we have an
obligation to work in our professional organization, for both it's
betterment and the betterment of our profession.

(Mark steps off his soapbox)

Mark Williams
Librarian
Colton High School Library