I'm still a student in Library Media Studies.  I am also quite poor. :)
However, every year I find the money to join ALA and AASL.  I hear
students and people in the field telling me it's not worth it.  Not worth it?
Well, I want to know that ALA/AASL will be there supporting me and this
profession when I am out in the field.  Many of us forget that our support of
the organization is what keeps it going.  After all, like Mike said....WE ARE
the organization.  I hear people moan and groan about how librarians never get
the support and respect we deserve.....and then they do nothing.  They remain
passive.  Well, get up, get active and JOIN!

Stephanie Fruhling
Graduate Student/Library Media Studies
University of Northern Iowa
FruhliS6174@uni.edu