Thanks to everyone for the info, suggestions, advice and defining
replies.  I learned the difference between storytelling and reading
aloud and got some wonderful tips  You all are great!

YES, storytelling is important! (besides being the most
enjoyable thing that I do). Here are the values that I introduce to
my storytelling students in the graduate course that I teach:
1) Storytelling is an art form that nurtures the spirit.
2) Storytelling deepens the relationship between teacher and
student.
3) Storytelling enhances imagination and visualization.
4) Storytelling introduces children to literature and the beauty of
language.
5) Storytelling enhances reading and writing skills.
6) Storytelling enhances listening skills.
7) Storytelling introduces students to the world and other cultures.

I think that students are hungry for stories, told person to person.
Noelectronics, no computers, no tv, no glitz, no glitter. Just
aheartfelt story shared from one person to another. I find that
students who are used to listening to stories are much better
audiences and listeners in all activities. We are making those minds
work to produce the images of the stories!

Do you mean storytelling or reading?
   If the former then it isn't important and isn't expected or
mandatory but a nice talent and the children will love it and the
parents, teachers and administrators will be impressed.  However if
a child istreated to a well told story all he/she wants is another
well told story. But if you mean reading aloud to
children...???...then it is very important.  It is probably the most
fun you'll have as an elementary librarian also.

I just took a course on Storytelling and it was a blast!
There are several wonderful sites on the Web , try storytelling on
Yahoo or Netscape and Iknow you'll find helpful hints, etc.

Storytelling can also mean reading stories.  I am not a storyteller
but I am a dramatic reader.  I had a storyteller come to the school
(PTA paid) and the kids loved it. Relax.

I use this technique a lot.As a reward system. Every two months or
so, I let the kids know they have been so great they are getting to
hear a new stroy I am learning...always generates lots of excitement
-- and good behavior. (Teachers look forward to it as well and use
it as a good behavior carot
int he class room)

I think storytelling is very important in grades K-4.  Many of the
students are not read to at home and storytelling familiarizes them
with many different types of children's literature as well as
promotes listening skills which are so important.  Children love
animal stories and I am always looking for different animal stories
to use. Another idea is to purchase the audio tapes of famous
storytellers and let the students listen to professionals tell
stories.  Then have them draw pictures of story characters and use
their imaginations.

story telling is hard work-- if you love it great- but if you are
as time impaired as many school librarians--work on a greaqt
repetoire of read-alouds--watch this list,try some--know them
well-,but kids just needso much variety that story-learning could
become a full time job

Many times I hold the book up and just tell the story and turn the
pages.  Sometimes it goes quicker and the kids enjoy it just as
much..

Storytelling is extremely important for both you and the students.
First, I'm using the term loosely to include alsoreading books to
students.  Actually telling stories is powerful but takes
your time for preparation.  I always found a few simple stories like
"Hats for Sale"  that I could tell easily.  The connection formed
between you andyour students when you are reading or telling is one
of the most powerfulreading motivators you'll experience.

There is nowhere else within the school setting they kids are
exposed to storytelling putting us in a pretty unique situation with
a captive audience.  I would highly recommend The Storyteller's
Start-Up Book by Margaret Read MacDonald. It's a wonderful resouce
for novice storytellers.

Do you mean reading (sharing) stories or picturebooks with kids or
traditional "telling" without using the book? If you mean reading or
sharing stories from the book (and with the book in hand), then my
opinion is that it is probably the most important part of your
curriculum! I read constantly to my classes (through the fifth
grade) nearly every time their class comes to the library. This is
in addition to whatever skills lesson I may be working on. We allow
about 45 minutes per group so it's tight, but most times it's
do-able. (This year I read a chapter book to the older kids, instead
of folklore and picture books. They loved it)
I am _not_ able to storytell effectively without reading from the
book - I don't have the time to properly learn the tales and I get
distracted by interruptions, etc. So I don't traditional "storytell"
at all.

Barbara Staubin
Library Tech/MDCC
bkulpa@mdcc.edu