Jerry Spinelli has published a collection of four short stories with one
common element: The Library Card (that's the title)
I expected predictable characters and plot, but I am pleasantly surprised
with adult and youth characters that are well rounded and believable. The
characters have real problems that face are youth today. The setting of each
story is not the clean, crime-free world so often used in realistic fiction.
And best of all, the libraries are depicted as a safe havens.  Youngsters are
welcome there, and are assisted by helpful librarians (all women)
It makes a nice afternoon at the beach read.  I read it yesterday while
avoiding the sweltering humidity of the Hudson Valley, and my yard.  Three
more days of school!!

nancy Thackaberry Librarian 6-8
 Catskill Middle School  Catskill, NY
nthackaber@aol.com