This weekend I had an idea about the possible origin of the Jewish custom
of leaving rocks or pebbles at a gravesite.

In the Old Testament (book of Exodus or Joshua?) when the Israelites
entered into the Promised Land, they crossed the Jordan River.  God parted
the waters there (just like He had the Red Sea at the beginning of their
journey 40 years before), and everyone walked across on dry land.  God told
the leader of each of the 12 tribes to take a rock from the middle of the
river.  They built a monument from those 12 rocks to commemorate that
miracle.

There are also other times in the Bible where rocks or stones were used for
memorials.  This seems like a logical possibility to me...

Judy Turner, Librarian/IMC Supervisor
Tehama County Department of Education
P.O. Box 689,  Red Bluff, CA  96080
(916) 527-5811   FAX  916-527-5811