On Mon, 3 Mar 1997 12:55:03 -0600 Betty Louise Copeland <bcope@TENET.EDU>
writes:

>Another issue in school libraries is explaining the sense of the
>organization of the library to students.  If we don't know what we're
>talking about, how can we teach students information skills?

This isn't just an issue in school libraries; we do it at the college
level as well (believe it or not!)

If the students aren't clear about how materials are organized in DDC,
imagine their frustration and total bewilderment when we try to explain
why we decided to do a reclass into LC when we did our recon!    We have
to do a brief explanation of DDC first, then a thumbnail sketch of LC.
Anything more and their eyes start to glaze over!

Barbara

Barbara Herbert         work:<herbert@georgian.edu>
Georgian Court College  home:<bherb@juno.com>
Lakewood, NJ  08701-2697