A couple of quick comments and a big assumption.
The assumption is that you are wanting to be a school Librarian.
If not, pay no attention to this.

There is one abolute bit of logic that you can take to the bank,
"Presentations and perceptions are the most important part of being a
Librarian and handling discipline".

VOICE
1. elementary-firm, but cheerful
2. middle school-firm, and stern
3. high school-firm, and (if necessary) volume

DOCUMENTATION
This sound mundane, but for your own protection,,,,,
KEEP A DIARY !!!!! This has bailed out many Librarians.
1. document the names of the students that have to be taken back
   to class, the infraction, and the consequences
   (loss of library visit or removal from the library)
2. document all conversations with administrators

INTERVIEW
Stress that you are a firm disciplinarian. Administrators like to hear
that, but I AM 100 % confident that they don't know what it means.

LEVELS
Develope levels of discipline.
(ie. level one = taken back to class, level two = removal from the
   library for a specific time period, level three = referral to
   the administration).
GO OVER YOUR DISCIPLINE POLICIES WITH THE ADMINISTRATION. Document
your conversation and their approvel (ie. date, time, place).

TO THE BANK
1. student will try you,,,,,I don't know where it is written, but
   somehow it is written that students will try the
   new librarian. BE CONSISTENT + DOCUMENT + STAND YOUR GROUND
   (ie. if your discipline practices are called into question,
   then don't be afraid to call in NEA (or teachers local union).
2. Come down hard your first week. If they see you are not going to
   backoff, then they will know how far they can go. They will test
   the limits.
3. Put a layer of protection between you and your students. The times
   have changed. I coach debate and work with the state academic
   competitions. When I started at North Newton, I took some of the
   kids home that were on my way home (I knew their parents.).
   Nowdays, don't stay after school to work with students unless
   there is open access to several adults going by. AND NEVER GO
   ANYWHERE (ie. a school trip) WITHOUT ANOTHER ADULT PRESENT.
   This sounds harsh, but if parents don't think the trip is important
   enough to go and chaperone, then the trip is not important
   enough to take. This is the quickest way to destroy a career and
   invite student discipline problems. It takes two sets of eyes.
   Especially if you are driving the van.
4. Another layer need to be put between yourself and the students
   (ie. for first year Librarians), because you are there to help
   them learn, find resources, and to be a part of the education
   process. The Librarian is not there to be  their best friend
   (friendly YES,,,,,but best friend NO). If you become their
   best friend, then this is inviting the perception of discipline
   problems.

Again, please for the MISSSSSSSSpellings, and I hope this helps
just another thought
Dick Ramey

LM_NET Archive Home