Hi lm-netters,
  This is not a hoax. It is recommended that you not use the Internet
Explorer until Microsoft fixes the problem.
  Basically the software allows others to come in and "do things" to your
machine. It has been verified on the IBM, it has not been verified on the
Mac but is highly suspect.
 It has been recommended to me by the gurus I know that you use Netscape
Navigator or similar program until problem is resolved. Active X is the
plug in that is the suspect but they're not sure.
MaryAnn

>     Microsoft says it is moving quickly to plug a security hole in its
>Explorer
>     Web-browsing software that was discovered by Worcester Polytechnic
>     Institute student Paul Greene.  Microsoft says the flaw, which involves
>     basic functions within Microsoft's Windows 95 and Windows NT operating
>     systems, bypasses the highest levels of the software's security systems.
>     (Washington Post 3 Mar 97)

MaryAnn "the librarian" Rizzo

"We need to educate our children for their future and not for our past" A.
C. Clarke

"Keep smiling -- it keeps everyone wondering about you."  M. Rizzo

LM_NET Archive Home