There are several software issues that you might wish to consider as a
part of your decision.
First, two platforms means increased costs to purchase software in both
forms.  The flip side of that is that some packages are available in
only one platform and a dual system would address that.

**************************************

I would say that if you haven't experienced any real problems with your
Macs (as you stated) and since you're already knowledgeable about the
platform, why switch to something new or different?  Incidentally, this
is being written on a Compaq Presario in our PC-only lab, in our PC-only
district, in case you're wondering about my religion or loyalties.

**************************************

Hi, I'm sorry that I don't have an answer but I have a question!  (We also
have people who border on having "religious fervor" relating to platform
preferences - yet I know that many of our students have IBMs at home and need
more than Macs.  I am interested in knowing more about your partnership with
college which will house the server - this sounds like a Wide Area Network?
If so, can you send some - any - info on what is involved in a WAN?  We are
hoping to do the same with the Public Library - just across the street- and
making taxpayers happy by sharing electronic resources (CD-ROM materials) and
whatever else the future may hold which would be practical and efficient.
     Personally, I beleive we need to offer both platforms to students as
they
come from homes with both platforms - and to exclude one type would not be
fair.  And - the larger world out there seems to be D0s/Windows based tho I
love the Mac I use!  Good luck - and TIA for any WAN info you can furnish.

**************************************

One consideration you may want to make is the software needed for
the lab. We're a "Mac School" too, and I have site licenses to cover all
machines in the building. At $1300 for the Writing Center license, I would
hesitate to buy a platform that I couldn't use my current licenses on
(maybe you can get the IBM version for your lab, tho - haven't checked into
it, as we barely have 1 computer per classroom :(). Anyway, I'll be
interested to see how you resolve this, as it may come up at our place in
the future.  ET
**************************************

For my 2 cents' worth, I would say stick with the power macs which could do
PC and Mac platforms.  That way you would have a versatile lab which you can
use for other things too.  We have both IBM's and Macs in our L.M.C. and like
them equally and the kids appreciate having both platforms.  It's sort of 6
of one, half dozen of the other as far as which you prefer for internet
access.  But for making it easier on yourself, stick with Mac.

**************************************

We have a mixed platform school (k-12), so our experiences might be of some
interest to you.  We recently had a referendum pass, and with the money
bought three new labs in the K-12 building--1 Mac (primarily Elementary)
and 2 Windows (Jr. High and High School).  We initially had LOTS of
trouble.  We were connecting the labs on a network to get internet access.
A program called Firefox was supposed to work for both platforms.  It
didn't work for Mac.  We didn't get internet in the Mac lab until just
before Christmas, and the work started in the summer.  Now, however, things
are working okay.  Part of our problem has been our technical support.  We
hire out to a private company, and they DO NOT know Mac.  In fact, they
seem kind of proud of not knowing Mac, as though the Mac were inferior and
not worthy of notice.  Beware of this.  The Windows people are more likely
to say something won't work cross-platform.  The Mac people seem to be more
willing to figure it out.
Our main reason for having Windows as well as Mac was that Windows is used
much more often in business.  For that reason, I think we did the right
thing.
Hope this helps.

**************************************

We're a 550 student grade 7-12 school.  We have a mac lab and a PC
lab.....all networked.  Our server is divided.  The only reason we have a
PC lab is that the district admin. insisted.  The elementary school was
also forced to go with the PC.  However, all the creative stuff is done in
the Mac lab.  It can be mixed in the building.

My library is automated and networked.  When we purchased the PC's 5-6
years ago, they didn't automatically come with cd-rom capabilities, or
sound boards, speakers, etc.  We've had to add all that stuff, and to use
the cd's we have to use a boot disk to access dos or windows to use the
cds.  What a pain.  Make sure you get multi-media machines AND a tower to
use with CDs.  I am so sick of changing CDs.....we tried leaving the
popular ones in the machines and the kids started stealing them.

Since I have 4 Macs and 4 PCs in the library, I use the PC's for the
Library catalog, as Mandarin as more features than Mac Mandarin.  I use the
Macs for the CD-roms and map programs, etc..  Both platforms are used for
word processing.
Hope this helps.

**************************************

I can only offer you an anecdotal opinion.  Our web master was fervently
MAC.  Our school is entirely MAC and my LMC is PC except for the MAC I use
for Internet.    I would have bought a PC had I had a choice as my
background is almost entirely PC; I plod away on the MAC and don't like it.
  Anyway, our webmaster recently converted to PC and ADORES it!   Says that
anything she could do on the MAC can be done better and faster on the PC!
I guess, in the final analysis, it depends on what your "computer culture"
is.  In the LMC, the management system, Winnebago, pretty much runs the
same on MAC or PC, so it doesnt make a great deal of difference.

In my humble opinion you should stay with Mac as you have no others in
your system now.  Hardware is still the most reliable and software for
educational purposes is not really an issue as you can get anything
you need.  I run both types of computers here and find my Mac network
is more stable on the Novell than the PCs.

LM_NET Archive Home