Our district (45,000 students, 83 buildings) installed a filtering system
this past fall. The computer
representatives from 7-12 buildings found the "blocks" very messy. Our
building, a 1900 student urban high school will be installing its own
server to maintain a building intranet. I think we will be experimenting
with software such as "web-wacker", to bring the useful sites to our
server, of course , only with permission of the owner. I  spent the first
half of the year very frustrated with  blocked sites, however, I didn't
have to worry about the students getting anywhere they weren't supposed
to be; they couldn't go to many places!  Then I was concerned I only had
three workstations to support WWW, since  the district and state were
providing  free trials to several on-line databases  i.e. ebsco, grolier,
gale, etc. I was convinced I couldn't do my job without more internet
access.
We are all aware of the pains of the internet, printing and otherwise;
the false hopes of students that the internet is the almighty provider of
information, etc. I have decided to invest my money in CD_ROM products,
they work rather nicely with my dot-matrix printer, they work nice on the
tower over our novelle lan and appear much more manageable with "other
peoples' kids".

This very topic has been a major concern for the majority of the year.
I will be interested in other professional's situations.

                   Kristel A. Mayberry, Information Manager
                   Central High School, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
                     voice:402.557.3316 / fax:402.557.3379

LM_NET Archive Home