I saw the column, too.  I remember someone posting a similar explanation,
except the word was "it" instead of "say".  I also remember reading the
explanation, and counting the word "it" and it didn't appear 3 times, and
thinking, there's something wrong with this explanation.  Maybe this will
finally solve the recurrence of the riddle!  Next time we look at the most
frequently posted FAQs, gry will finally disappear from the list!  Hooray!
I love brain teasers, and people in Jonesboro know that, and I have had SO
many people ask me for the answer to this riddle, and I have to give them
that list of obscure and archaic words, and say to them, I don't really
think this brainteaser has an answer, and I think there's been a mistake in
the retelling of it.  I am so thankful for this answer, finally!

Count how many times I said say, or it, in that paragraph.  Does it add up to 3?

Suby Weston Wallace
Nettleton Intermediate Center  (grades 5-6)
3801 Vera
Jonesboro, AR   72401           swallace@nic.crsc.k12.ar.us

LM_NET Archive Home