The word knopf is a German word that means button.  In German you would
pronounce the K, and the o is hard to describe in English, kind of like
the au in author, and then you pronounce both the p and f. Of course, that
doesn't mean that they pronounce it the German way. Pronunciations sem to
evolve on their own.

Irene Schlarb              ischlarb@mbnet.mb.ca
Winnipeg, Manitoba         irschlar@mailbox.syr.edu
"Dad claims that library science is the foundation of all sciences
just as math is the key - and that we will survive or founder,
depending on how well the librarians do their jobs."  Heinlein 1958

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Cheryl Sturgeon wrote:

> -- [ From: Cheryl Sturgeon * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
> Well, I found an 800 # and called Houghton-Mifflin today.  They answer HO-
> TUN!
> So it's settled.  Couldn't find an 800# for Knopf, but I am convinced that
> the K is pronounced.  And I'm sorry for the slippiness shown in my typing in
> my hit.  I hope you understood it anyway.  I may e-mail NPR radio and tell
> them to inform their announcers of our findings. .
> Cheryl
> --
> Cheryl A. Sturgeon
> Highland Local Schools