I would like to address all librarians and paraprofessionals, techicians, etc.

I have just been informed that our school) will "never" hire a credentialed
librarian.  I am a
Library Aide II who has taken on the responsibility to the best of my ability to
the point of
wearing myself out.  After spending hours doing research for one of my
administrators, I
pointed out that  it would be nice to have another aide in here to pick up some of
the overload.

I was informed very bluntly that we would "never" hire a librarian.  You can't
imagine how
much the word "never" echoed in my brain when I heard it.  I was advised to try to
improve my
time management instead and just do the day to day stuff  to get by.  He could not
understand
why inventory, cataloguing, weeding and processing were not getting done.  He cound
not
understand what was so important about acquisitions "how much time can it take to
order
books."

I am currently seeking to either obtain my credential to be a school librarian or
to obtain a
masters to go into community or academic librarianship.  I just feel so at home in
libraries that I
know I'll be happy almost anywhere.  Anyway, I have informed my administration that
not
having a mentor (or a future, for that matter) would make staying in my current
post difficult for
my outlook.

What I would like from you--besides a shoulder to cry on--is  some direction and
perhaps
information on degree programs, job opportunities, etc.   I am just so disappointed
at the stand
that this administration is taking towards libraries that I cannot stand it (to
work here) anymore.
I feel I need to take a stand on the importance of libraries by not accepting this
one.

Any comments? Am I hurting myself more? HELP!

Ms. Sylvia Castro
Fowler High School Library
701 E. Main St.
Fowler, Ca   93625