Hello,

I posted a question asking for advice/experience in making one's own
tests, a feature of Accelerated Reader. I was especially interested in
the lowest reading level, namely first grade.

Thank you for responding. These are the results:

1. One LMS, w/an assistant and three teachers wrote tests for the "easy"
books because they were not circulating. Don't be afraid to do it. Study
some of the purchased tests first. Use the AR manual, ignore the part
saying the book MUST have 1000 words. "We written over 368 tests."

2. I write many tests for new adult books because AR does not have tests
for these books right away. Follow directions; do it.

3. We use Title and Bilingual staff to help write tests at the lower level.
Ignor the requirement of 1000
words for beginning readers. We just call ea. a half point bk. and decide
the level ourselves. Try to keep at the same vocabulary level.

4. I do it often. Decide how many questions you want to make. Divide the
bk. into that many sections. Using a yellow pad, I number my questions.
I put the pg. numbers in the margin to mark my location. (Ex. p/1-5 #1;
p. 6-11 #2; p. 12-17 #3; etc.) I get one question from ea. section. The
questions should not be hard, but should be those you have to read the bk.
to know. Use AR's formula for figuring avg. words. I usu. look in a vendor's
catalog for the rdg. level instead of going by the Fry formula. When you
key in the info., the program figures the point value based on the rdg.
level, no. of words, and no. of questions. You must always have 4 answers.
ALWAYS!!! key in the correct answer first (program will scramble the
choices).

5.      Include students in K and 1 only if BOTH bks. and tests are read to
them. They are not independent readers yet. (This is the recommendation
of the Reading Renaissance workshop.) Yes, I've written 240 tests. Be
careful not to add words not in the book. Easier books are more difficult
to write questions for, usu. no plot. Keep track of books you add tests
for in case you purchase test disks at a later date that include those same
titles. Your tests can then be deleted or you can edit purchased ones.
**The system checks test numbers, not titles, so when a child tries to
test, entering a new title for a previously used number can be a problem.
AR gives you 500 slots to enter new tests; decide if you want to reuse
those slots. Simply deleting the purchased test may be the best way.
However, **just in case the system goes down or you have t reinstall,
keep a list of purchased tests you've deleted to avoid duplication.
        I use the AR disk of titles to determine their gr. level and
point level when doing original test writing.
        Only independent first graders are a part of AR. First graders
are instructed to read the book THREEE times prior to testing. AR
warns that K and 1st. graders should be the last consideration for AR
because of the necessity of "independent" reader status. The teacher
determines when a child is ready...is independent.
        Personal experience, begin AR w/second graders. Logging on,
remembering passwords, managing the program, etc. add to the frustration.
Time will be needed to help them w/these tasks and others: finding the
tests. I've seen more growth w/2nd graders.
        Berenstain Bears books are extremely difficult to locate....all
titles in this series have not been added by AR in the same format.
        ***Children on level should have a success rate of 85-92% on
their AR test results. Being successful encourages reading. If first
graders aren't able to succeed, it may turn them off to using the program
later.

6. I've made almost 50 tests. Use a legal pad, make a chart across the
top for syllables/100, sentences/100, wds/pg and pgs. Count blank pgs.
or pictured pgs., subtract from total pgs. (I don't use AR's math. formula)
Use paperclips to mark pages of desired questions, usu. 10. (not beginners'
bks) My clerk enters them. Proofread too.

7. I've written 20. Don't count words w/easy books. 1000 is the minimum
AR will accept. I use Alliance Plus CD to get rdg. levels...or check
the existing MARC record. Offer feasible alternative answers at the same
difficulty level as the book. Study purchased tests for easy readers, i.e.
Hillert books or Rookie Readers.

8. Misc. comments: colored dots to indicate point value
        -different colors to indicate rdg. levels
        -on MARC record, a note indicating AR book, i.e. ACCR, # of pts.
                and rdg. level
        -rewards: drawings, candy, etc. clubs for 50 pts, 100 pts, 500 pts.

I would like to thank everyone who responded, for their time and
interest.

Rita McKillip
LMS
Milwaukee