I hope this works! Here is a compilation of the Irish recipes. Also check
the internet for these wonderful sites:
www.rampages.onramp.net~ricsmith/irish.html
www.ibmpcug.co.uk/~owls.irish.htm
Also, America Online has some great recipes..I think it's keyword St. Pat
or St. Patricks. It's also on the welcome screen this week.
        Deanna Doyle

I would make Irish Soda bread. It's a quick bread made with
buttermilk,
caraway seeds, and raisins or currants. Delicious!
****+*
        Jennifer M.Lyons                        St. Paul's Academy
        jlyons@oswego.edu                       115 #E. 5th Street
        jwlyons@mailbox.syr.edu                 Oswego, New York 13126

Irish Black Ginger Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup black strap molasses
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup strongly brewed coffee
Preheat oven to 350.  Butter an 8 inch square or 9 inch round pan.

Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.  In a large bowl, beat
the egg into the molasses, then add to the butter mixture. Sift together
the flour, spices,
and salt, then fold into the butter
mixture.  (Actually, I usually fold in the spices and salt, then the
flour.)
Dissolve the baking soda in the hot coffee, then add it to the batter.
Beat vigorously until well blended.  Bake for 40-50 minutes or until it
passes the toothpick test.

Kathleen Morrow
Stevenson-Carson School District
PO Box 850
Stevenson, WA
kmorrow@esd112

Many years ago, as a junior girl scout, I had to find a recipe reflecting
my heritage.  I came across a Bisquick Irish Soda Bread. Hope this helps,
Terry

4 cups Bisquick
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup firm margarine or butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Heat oven to 350.  Generoulsy grease 11/2quart round casserole.  Mix dry
ingredients.  Cut the butter in the dry ingredients until crumbly.  Beat
eggs slightly and
reserve 1 tablespoons.  Stir remaining eggs and
buttermilk into crumbly mixture.  Turn dough onto well-floured cloth
covered board.  Knead 20 times.  Shape dough into ball; place in
casserole.  Cut 4 inch cross about 1/4 inch deep in cneter of ball.
Brush dough with reserved egg.  Bake until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean, 60  to 70 minutes.  cool 10 minutes, remove from
casserole. -- Terry Day

Irish Soda Bread

        1 1/2 cups buttermilk
        2 tablespoons melted butter
        1 egg, slightly beaten
        1 1/2 cups dark seedless raisins
        3 cups all-purpose flour
        2/3 cup sugar
        1 tablespoon baking powder
        1 teaspoon baking soda
        1 teaspoon salt

Grease 9/5 loaf pan. Set aside.  Combine buttermilk, butter, egg, and
raisins and set aside.  In large bowl combine dry ingredients and with fork
toss together.  Add buttermilk mixture and stir till mixed well.  Spoon into
pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.  Leave in pan 1 minute.  Remove and
cool.
--Joanne Proctor

How about soda bread and/or Irish Potatoes? The latter is not authentic,
but they are cute! I don't have the recipe, but it ivolves powdered sugar,
coconut, cinnamon (for the skins) and something else white to hold the
sugar and coconut together.

Top o' the mornin'
Pat

:)    Pat Bartoshesky

If you can get hold of it, the May, 1996 edition of Bon Appetit magazine
focused on "the romance of Ireland" and the whole issue focused on
Ireland, food, and culture.
You might want to try the BonAppetit/Gourmet web-site at the following
address, for more research:
        http://www.epicurious.com
Joanne

Deanna,
        I went to a St. patrick's Day dance last night where they were
served and got the recipe from the person who brought them. I didn't write
it down, but this is the recipe as I remember it: Mix 8 oz. cream cheese,
one stick of
butter, 2 cups of powdered sugar and shape into small potatoes (about 1/2
the length of
your thumb). Roll in powdered cinnamon.
Enjoy! Pat

Oatmeal Bread

Yield:  1 loaf

2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 to 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cream

Equipment:  large-size mixing bowl, aluminium foil, flour sifter, medium-size
mixing bowl, floured work surface, greased baking sheet, pastry brush

1.  Put oatmeal and buttermilk, in large bowl, mix well, and cover
tightly with
foil.  Set aside for about 2 hours.
2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3.  Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into medium-size bowl, add to oatmeal
mixture, and, placing on floured work surface, knead to a smooth stiff dough.
Shape dough into round loaf, about 6 inches in diameter and about 2 inches
thick.
4.  Place on baking sheet and, using a floured knife, make 2 deep slashed,
criss-crossing the top and dividing dough into 4 wedges.  Bake in oven for
about
45 minutes or until bread is golden brown.  Remove from oven, allow to
cool for
20 minutes, and brush top with cream.

Serve oatmeal bread while still warm for the best flavour and with plenty of
butter.
M. Fink